So, recently I noticed several posts about Fall! How Exciting It Is! Football! Hockey! Sweaters! Pumpkins! Oh my!
I feel like the Grinch. Or Scrooge. Fall is seriously my LEAST favorite season. Because . . . Football! Sweaters! Pumpkins! (Hockey is ok in my world. Go Bruins.)
Football: I think I sat through half a game during college and then wandered off. I didn’t understand it, and my college didn’t have cheerleaders or even good game food. It so wasn’t worth it to sit there being confused, hungry, and bored.
Sweaters: OMG, I live in Maine; I get enough sweater wearing time during Winter that I can’t bear to put them on sooner than absolutely necessary.
And pumpkins: what is up with Dunkin Donut putting “pumpkin” in everything, and then expecting people to like it? DD's “pumpkin” is just—wrong. Artificial. Very. Stay away, people!
Fall: is also my birthday. I was never comfortable celebrating it. I’m getting better about it. I will even admit publicly that I am turning a milestone birthday this Fall. (Why yes, 21 is a nice age, thank you. So glad to be of legal drinking age, finally!). JUST KIDDING. I am far, far older than 21.
Fall: is Back to School. I think one reason I became a teacher is I couldn’t escape the siren call of the school room every Fall. I spent so much of my life in school that I can’t imagine not going Back to School every September! It’s a bittersweet time for me. I lurv me the Summer. But I lurv me the new school year feeling, too. Fresh starts for everyone in the new school year!
2. Help me! My son, who is three, no longer wants to sleep in his own bed. I. AM. EXHAUSTED. Is this normal? What do I do to get him back to sleeping in his bed, instead of waking up every five minutes, crying, and eventually dragging himself, all his stuffed animals AND his sippy cup into our bed at midnight every night???
3. Tomorrow is the Queenship of Mary. I think I will attempt a crown cake by way of celebration. I like to bake, but cake decorating is an art form I never mastered. We’ll see how it turns out. Is this too silly a thing to ask prayers for? I would so like to be one of those awesome Catholic mothers who makes cake like a boss. Maybe it's genetic; my genes are Lutheran and I can't decorate cakes?
4. Another reason I don’t like Fall: socks. I have to stop going barefoot when it gets cold here. And that makes me so sad. Actually, even now, when it’s still in the 80s, I have to put on shoes to go outside because the oak trees have started to drop their acorns all over. Painful on barefeet! But socks are even worse. Blech, socks!
5. OK, one nice thing about Fall: it will finally be good weather to crochet more. I have an afghan I started that was intended as a college graduation gift over a year ago. It has 700 squares. I’m around 650 done and it’s too darn hot to hold yarn in my lap!
6. Signs that you’ve been reading Moby Dick (the junior version) to your toddler in a desperate attempt to get him to sleep after him waking up crying 10 times already: he takes a look out the window and announces, “Hey, it’s getting on towards dark!”
7. I just found out my mom uses the word “counterpaine.” What what what??? Who uses that word these days?? She said tonight, “Oh, the little guy is such a good helper! He helps me turn down the counterpaine when we make the bed together.”
Golly, now I am just waiting to hear this sentence come out of the Bambino’s mouth: “Hey, it’s getting on towards dark! Time to turn down the counterpane, Mama!”